Human Resources Manager*
RockTenn is one of North America's leading manufacturers of packaging products, merchandising displays and recycled paperboard. Since its founding in 1936, RockTenn has focused on developing packaging and paperboard products that bring high value to its customers, employees and shareholders.
The Company operates manufacturing facilities throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile and Argentina, and employs approximately 10,000 people. We hire the best people in the industry and our team's commitment to customer satisfaction is relentless.
The Human Resources Manager has the overall responsibility for general management, strategic planning, and coordination of services for the facilities HR Function. This position directs the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of a diverse range of policies and procedures, in support of the facilities established mission and goals. The HR Manager will work closely with the General Manager, and Mill Leadership Team to achieve the short and long term goals for the facility. The HR Manager will direct the facilities employee related initiatives..
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Oversees all aspects of a multi-functional HR Department including Compensation, Employment, Benefits, Training, Safety and Health, Employee Relations, and Labor Relations.
2. Responsible for compliance with all applicable Federal and State Laws including EEO, FMLA, HIPAA, ADA, and Collective Bargaining.
3. Conducts period training on applicable topics including sexual harassment, diversity, and employment law.
4. Responsible for meeting the staffing needs of the organization. This includes the selection, testing, and hiring of employees as well as conducting new employee orientation.
5. Responsible for developing and improving the knowledge and skills of the organization. This includes analyzing training needs, determining how to deliver the training needs, as well as coaching and mentoring.
6. Coordinates labor relations activities including contract interpretation and grievance administration. Handles complaints, settles disputes, resolves grievances and conflicts, and conducts internal investigative procedures.
7. Responsible for the administrative aspects of the human resources function including maintaining records and confidential employee files, and providing statistical and regulatory reporting.
8. Researches and introduces policy changes for General Manager and Leadership Team approval. Consults and advises Leadership Team on topics of interest that could have a major impact on employee morale.
A bachelor's degree and five years of Human Resource experience in a manufacturing environment.
Union grievance handling experience and exposure to contract negotiations.
Supervisory experience is a plus along with SPHR certification.
Experience with Health and Safety processes.
Development of training systems.
Skilled in areas of strategic planning, problem solving, coaching and conflict resolution.
Requires excellent written and oral communication
Professional negotiating skills
Ability to hear issues on employee conflicts and solve such issues using a variety of methods and tools
Skilled user of Microsoft Office
Strong organizational, analytical and project management skills
Strong customer service orientation
Battle Creek, MI